Saturday, May 15, 2010

Review: Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose...

It's winter break at St. Vladimir's, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy's crawling with Guardians--including Rose's hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if handto- hand combat with her mom wasn't bad enough, Rose's tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason's got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks....This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price...
One word- BRILLIANT! I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the first novel of this series and that I wouldn't have picked this book up had it not been sitting right in front of me on the "recent returns" cart of the library, but oh my God am I so glad that I did! Frostbite kept me hooked right from the very first page and did not release me even after I turned the last.

This book had it all- romance, action, horror and one hell of a tragedy.  It made me laugh, it made me want to cry and it kept me up at night both trying to finish it and because it scared the pants off me in some parts (but then I scare  extremely easily so maybe don't take me as the best example). It's the kind of book that makes you forget you're even reading at all.  I was too lost in the story to care about anything else for a good few hours.

My one complaint however is Lissa.  The first book's main focus was on her, and that was probably why I didn't like it very much.  She's just... annoying.  She's meant to be extremely kind-hearted and have compassion leaking out her rear end and all that, but honestly I didn't feel it.  She just seems kind of selfish and boring.  Hopefully we get to see her grow in later books.

And of course, Dimitri and Rose were as awesome as ever! If you're one of the few like me who haven't read this series yet I suggest you get to it ASAP =)


Overall:  ♥♥♥♥♥
Published: April 10th 2008 

1 comment:

  1. I just read/reviewed this too and really liked it. :) I felt exactly the same way about Lissa, and just wait until you get to books 3 and 4- that's when things get seriously crazy!!

    ReplyDelete