Monday, May 31, 2010

Review: Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that the women of her family have been cursed through the generations, forced to attempt three seemingly impossible tasks or to fall into madness upon their child's birth. But Lucy is the first girl who won't be alone as she tackles the list. She has her fiercely protective foster parents beside her. And she has Zach, whose strength amazes her more each day. Do they have enough love and resolve to overcome an age-old evil? Inspired by the ballad "Scarborough Fair," Impossible combines suspense, fantasy, and romance.


Impossible was an intriguing read that intertwined some very real teen issues with both magic and mystery.

The book started off a little slow but picked up pace very quickly. The Elven Knight's introduction into the story is done very well and my intrigue into who this character was is what kept me going until then.  The emotional turmoil of each character in this book however is what truly makes Impossible such an engaging read- you definitely want to find out how all this awfulness will pan out.  I really liked Lucy and Zach's relationship- it was sweet although a little rushed. I wish we got to see more of its development, especially on Zach's side.  Zach could have been one of my favourite male leads if he had just been developed better.

While the story kept me enthralled, the way it was told left me wanting more. I just didn't feel connected with any of the characters- it felt like I was merely being recounted a story, and not that I was actually there watching it as it took place. Werlin has written the novel from different perspectives (all in third person), which under normal circumstances would still work. However, in this novel, every character's viewpoint is in the same exact voice. For that reason I couldn't really get a gauge on what each characters personality was really like, other than what was told to me.

Nonetheless, the pages kept turning and I found myself really liking the story even if the characters were not all that close to my heart.  Pick it up if you have the chance!

Overall:  ♥♥♥♥
Published: September, 2008
Source: Library

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I really want to read this.

    PS- You got an award: http://intheforestbookreviews.blogspot.com/2010/06/i-got-award.html

    ReplyDelete