Thursday, May 27, 2010

Review: The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

Only two weeks ago, life was all too predictable. But that was before I saw my first ghost. Now, along with my supernatural friends Tori, Derek, and Simon, I’m on the run from the Edison Group, which genetically altered us as part of their sinister experiment. We’re hiding in a safe house that might not be as safe as it seems. We’ll be gone soon anyway, back to rescue those we’d left behind and to take out the Edison Group . . . or so we hope.


While this series was never an absolutely favourite of mine, it was interesting enough for me to want to finish the series. I liked Chloe and I wanted to see where her and Derek were going ('coz seriously we all knew Simon had no shot right?). This last book unfortunately however, was probably the least exciting of series.

The story line felt like in ran in circles, and nothing really happened until the last few chapters. For such a little book, you'd expect the pages not to be wasted like that. It was a shame because there were so many unanswered questions everywhere. This book lacked the closure and crazy suspense that a last book in a series such as this needed. The romance was also clunky and I didn't feel it was anything special. I get that the characters themselves were awkward and their relationship was perhaps supposed to reflect that, but it didn't make for the most entertaining read. I also felt like there was little or no growth in Chloe as a character. She started off as a self-conscious girl with her necromancy powers of little use in their battle with the Edison Group...and she finishes the series as pretty much the same. I'd hoped we could have seen her become the powerful necromancer she was supposed to be, but that wasn't really the case.

The Reckoning was a book that took me a long time to read considering its size. I picked it up and random moments of free time and I didn't feel like I was missing anything when I put it down. Will I be reading the spin-off series? Probably not.

Overall:  ♥♥
Published: March 19th 2010
Source: Library

No comments:

Post a Comment