Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart.

I bought this book after much hesitation because of all the raves I kept hearing about it. Why the hesitation? Well, I have to admit the cover and the premise didn't do much for me. And when I first started reading it I definitely thought my initial hunch had been right. It was a bit of a slow start that felt all a little too fairy tale and done before (I had just finished Wondrous Strange so that definitely influenced me there- bad I know!). I kept at it though and by the middle of the book I was well and truly hooked. By the end, I was absolutely desperate for the sequel!

The beginning didn't grab me at first and did feel a little silly.  There's a confrontation with a jock guy which felt way too contrived and unrealistic (or maybe I'm just lucky enough to never have met someone so awful!). Once Meghan gets to the Neverever (the faery realm) is where the book starts getting really good though.  The author has created an expansive, unique world with just as many new creatures.  The satyrs and cait sith are definitely original to this faery book (Grimalkin reminds me a little too much of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland though!). The author has also added to the traditional faery kingdoms and created the Iron Fey- which is what makes this book truly different from the rest of the faery books out there.

Okay so enough small talk, I'll admit it, it was definitely Ash which made this book for me.  Hot, tormented bad boy? Heck yes! I'm a sucker for them all the way, and his heroic risking of his life to help Meghan just made it all the better. I can't wait to see what happens between them, oh and him and Puck too!

The Iron King is a notable debut by an author who I bet will only amaze us more with her next book.  The Iron Daughter hits shelves in August!

Overall:  ♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment